Where can I get support?

Safeguarding and Wellbeing Team:

  • Wellbeing, mental health and safeguarding issues
    • For support around wellbeing or mental health support based in the student advice and careers hub. The team are based opposite the canteen in St Albans Campus or opposite the sports hall in Welwyn campus for a 1:1 conversation with a safeguarding officer.
    • Referrals to external agencies for support i.e. mental health and wellbeing services, housing support, mentoring and including the college counsellor
    • Contacting the team by email

Careers and Personal Development:

Learning Mentor Welfare and Pastoral Support:

  • Classes will be supported by a Learning Mentor who will provide information on, and guide discussion around, a range of important social and personal development themes.
  • Learning Mentors will also be available to offer one-to-one low level welfare, wellbeing and pastoral support
  • The team can signpost students to additional teams within the college for additional help
  • The team can provide information and signpost you to on external services who can provide further guidance and support.

Who are the Safeguarding Team?

Watch our presentation here or download it here and find out who we are and what support we can provide you with. 

Want some specialist advice and support?

Please see below the vast array of service who provide specialist support to young people and their families, you can access these support outside of college at any time you wish to. 

Who to contact if immediate concerns:

o Immediate concerns regarding risk to life, including to self and others, please contact emergency services on 999.

o Immediate concerns of a safeguarding nature, please contact the out of hours local Children and Adults Care Services for the appropriate council for where the student and/or family are living.

o Hertfordshire Children’s Services can be contacted on 0300 123 4043, 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 4pm on Saturday. At all other times calls will be automatically diverted to the emergency duty team.

o Hertfordshire Adult Services can be contacted on 0300 123 4042, adult services also have a emergency duty team who can support you with the concern.

o For adults receiving mental health services, contact Hertfordshire Partnership Foundation Trust on 0300 777 0707.

o If the child or adult lives outside Hertfordshire, please contact their local council website for the adult and children safeguarding team contact details to report the concern.

Mental Health and Wellbeing:

o Hertfordshire Partnership Foundation Trust - For adults receiving mental health services contact 0300 777 0707. o Samaritans - free confidential support 24/7. Telephone: 116 123 or send an email to:

o NHS Herts Mental health Service, Single Point of Access (SPA) Telephone: 0300 777 0707 from 8am - 7pm. Out of hours helpline, including weekends, evenings and bank holidays, telephone: 01438 843322.

o Just Talk - provides mental health and wellbeing support. Young people self-help resources, parent/carer advice and professional guidance including COVID19. Telephone: 0300 777 0707 (8am–7pm) or 01438 843322 (5pm–8am). Website:

o Healthy Young Minds in Herts - Emotional health and wellbeing support. Tools and tips for young people parents/carers and professionals. Visit:

o Charlie Waller Memorial Trust – support for students, professionals, and parent/carers regarding depression and mental wellbeing. Visit their website:

o Kooth – your online mental wellbeing community. Free, safe, and anonymous support.

o Youth Talk: Free, confidential counselling to 13-25 year olds in St Albans and surrounding areas

o GP Surgery – call your local surgery for advice and guidance

Domestic Abuse: support for anyone experiencing domestic abuse

o Safer Places: Free confidential advice and Support in Hertfordshire and some parts of Essex – telephone: 0330 102 5811

o National DV helpline: Telephone: 0808 2000 247

o Women’s Aid: support for women and girls experiencing domestic abuse o Respect: Men’s Advice Line

o Male Victim helpline: available for male victims of domestic abuse and domestic violence. Telephone: 01823 334244.


o Call 999, if you are unable to talk press 55, the operator will process the call through to police. o Report a crime online: or call 101 for non-emergencies

o Crime stoppers: 100% anonymous reporting – telephone: 0800 555 111

o Fearless: You can pass on information about a crime 100% anonymously and/or get non-judgemental information and advice about crime and criminality.

o Hertfordshire Victim Care – Beacon Victim Support, 0300 0115 555 or visit website:


o Herts Young Homeless – Free service for young people aged 16-24 who are homeless or threatened with homelessness, including a health service and family mediation. If you are aged 16 - 17 years call 03003 230130, if you are aged 18 - 24 years call 08000 355 775. Visit their website:

o Support and Resettlement St Albans – preventing homelessness and support people requiring support to remain in their own homes. Telephone: 01727 844181 or visit their website on You can also email the team on:

o Your local council – visit their website for details of your local housing/homelessness team who can support you with your needs, complete assessments and look at housing provision in your area.

o If you are fleeing from domestic abuse, you can present to any council and report yourself as homeless. Please be advised you may need to contact that local council via telephone beforehand to ensure that local council has duty housing workers onsite due to the current COVID19 pandemic.

Physical Health:

o GP Surgery – call your local surgery for advice and guidance

o NHS Direct: Call 111 for help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do.

o Accident & Emergency (A&E): visit your local hospital if you feel you cannot keep yourself safe, it is best to attend your local A&E so they can help to keep you safe.

Counselling and Bereavement Support:

o CRUSE Bereavement Care: Offer free, confidential counselling and reassurance. Telephone: Call 01707 278389 to speak to a trained support worker.

o Marie Curie: list of Bereavement support services for anyone experiencing death or loved one

o Youth Access – is the advice and counselling network for young people – visit their website on

Advice and Guidance Services:

o HertsHelp: a network of community organisations in Hertfordshire working together. Provide crisis intervention, Advocacy service, help finding and funding care needed, advice on benefits and debts and help to meet more people. Call: 0300 123 4044 or visit the website:

o Hertfordshire Citizens Advice Services (HCAS) – provides information & advice on Debt, Benefits, Housing, Family, Employment, Public Law and many other general areas of advice. Hertfordshire Telephone Advice line: 03444 111 444, open from 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday. Visit the website:

Parenting and Guardian support:

o Family lives: Online parenting advice and support and free helpline. Telephone: 0808 800 222, website: , Email contact:

o Family Mediation: a confidential, impartial mediation service working with families in Hertfordshire who are having arguments and help families to resolve issues and make long term changes for the future

o Supporting young people with mental health and wellbeing guidance:

Young Carers:

o Young Minds – offers support and signposting for young people who are carers for others, visit this website for more info:

o Carers UK – offers guidance on support available for carers, including guidance on COVID19 pandemic, visit their website on

o Youth Access – is the advice and counselling network for young people – visit their website on

Service Directory:

The Ollie Foundation website provides a detailed service directory, visit this website for more information:

Useful Documents